Sign in to follow this  
George

George's Photos

This is the Kildonan Burn, site of the Scottish gold rush. Makes me want to go gold panning again!

kildonan.jpg.e7fb6e066277f519ed7c47e5d3b53ddc.jpg

• Like 1

Always beautiful down there. No matter the time of day or the weather, it's always beautiful down there.

beachrain.jpg.62bca43fc8f076b21e223a63dc9be2be.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Today the sparrows have been hiding, nowhere to be seen. I thought it was perhaps the heavy rain showers we've had. No sign of Mr Blackbird or Mr Robin either. All very quiet in the garden. Put some grub out, but no takers. All very strange. While making something to eat this evening, look who showed up on my fence. Mrs Sparrowhawk! That explains that then.

sparrowhawk.jpg.5f67ef618a845242288ca018326238b1.jpg

• Love 1

Beautiful place! :classic_love:

Those ducks in the snow...
I remember back when I was living in a town called Kampen, they would always put straw on the ice and snow when the winter was harsh.
And they'd also feed the ducks bread and soft apples.
And in spring they would place nesting baskets in all ponds and canals. That town took really good care of its birds. :classic_love:

• Like 1

I must try to get out more in blizzards with my camera. I prefer sitting in my cosy office too much these days. I didn't know ducks liked soft apples. The blackbirds like apples.

Ducks might just eat about anything they can get when the weather is like that. :ponder:
I don't remember there being many other birds among the groups of ducks...

Our ducks used to like lettuce.
And one of them even liked slightly cooked cauliflower and lukewarm tea. :whistle:

Speaking of soft apples:
Back when my parents still had apple trees in their garden, we would have drunk Admiral butterflies. They would eat from the rotten apples and get drunk.
Flying wobbly and sitting down on our arms like they would never do when being sober. LOL! :laugh5:

Edited by Titak
  • Haha 1

Mr Guts is a bit like that. He even swallowed a piece of banana one morning, but judging by the look on his face I don't think he liked it.

:classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

A male goosander coming out of eclipse, I'm told, whatever that means. Nice duck! Big duck too, and at the mouth of the River Brora. Not seen him again, but I'm keeping my eyes open to see if I can get a decent photo.

duck.jpg.d8588987c52fdc3c8eceb98b1880f2e1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thought he was dead, but nope, as I approached he started flapping around on the sand. Helped him back into the sea. Didn't see him again, so perhaps he swam off to have some kind of a life.

fish.jpg.cb443dea5bef179a78bb4705882db3d2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Met this little fella, a sanderling a bit further on. I hope he wasn't pissed off at me nicking his lunch and putting it back in the sea.

sanderling.jpg.ab31d996c6e73bd7459570a0cb9336cc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's no wonder the Highlands was voted the most beautiful place on earth. This was the River Brora earlier today.

riverbrora.jpg.14caf862d409fe4fe68023f14e26aadf.jpg

• Love 1