Sign in to follow this  
George

Lara of Light

Not too bad. All the gameplay is nearly in place. But I’ve ripped a couple of the rooms apart to try to make the environment less boxy. Outside area suck! Lol

There's a trick to making caves and jungles and outside areas. Make one room you really like, texture it, then make 10 or 12 copies and join them all together in funny ways until you're happy, then go through and touch up the textures. Works every time for me. Starting with a huge blue box for every new room is not the quickest way to do things :classic_laugh:

One of my original IS levels was 64 copies joined together into one huge area.

• Haha 1

That sounds like a plan! I'll give that a go next level. :hat:

• Like 1

Keep the rooms to 8x8 or 9x9 at most, smaller tends to be better as bigger rooms tend to piss off the Editor when you join heaps of them together.

• Like 1

Alas that ship has alreeady sailed for this level - my lagoon is made up of several 18x18 rooms.It's a 'mare to texture. Only crashes when I try to rotate with draw doors on. While I have things in pieces I'll try and split some of them up. Might make thingsless boxy.

Yeah the Editor really doesn't like 18x18 rooms at all. My biggest rooms are 10x10 now, and if I need an 18x18 I use 4 9x9s joined together.

• Like 1

Alpha testing of level 6 begins shortly. This is going to be a 7 level game as I'm running out of steam, so one more level to do.

4 hours net game play time so far, so yeah, one more big level to finish it off and that will do nicely. I'll get cracking on the next level soon.

• Like 1

Level 7 is underway and this is the first area under construction. It's taken me all day to find a theme for it i like. This seems to do it.

lvl7.jpg.7299325e161d4bde1b180bdecff32675.jpg

• Like 1

Level 7 has hit a rather worrying glitch when converting. It's coming up with a string of over 100 x 0s just after Number of Rooms. The level plays okay, but I've closed it down early just in case. It's only half an hour's gameplay, so it's a very short level, but it means there will be another big level to finish off the game. I've just built the WAD and made a start on level 8.

• Wow 1

I hit a really weird 'bug' in level 7 and it's taken me 2 days of pulling my hair out to discover what was causing it. :1260870052_PCsmash:  I kept hitting random finish triggers in different parts of the map and getting transported to the next level. How weird is that? :OMG1:  Finally realised it was my guide who was lighting a flame emitter and triggering a heavy trigger to end the level. Bastard! :classic_laugh:

• Wow 1

This game is now called Lara of Light. It will be ready for beta testing in a week or two. I could really do with another one or two beta testers. It's 8 levels so I'm working full time on it now until it's released. Might even be doing a few late shifts.

The gameplay is easy, even noobs who have never played a custom level before will be able to play this game. There are no new moves, and all the challenges are easy. The timed runs for example can all be done with a few seconds to spare once you figure out the routes and there is tons of ammo so you can enjoy the battles. The gameplay is all about exploration so anyone who takes their time and explores everywhere will enjoy the game and get through it without breaking fingers, keyboards or controllers, and without even the need for a walkthrough.

:surf:

• Like 1

I'll be opening the beta lounge later today and will PM the password to testers.

• Like 1

The game is finished. I have to finish alpha testing the final level and then I'll package the game up and run through the whole thing before uploading for beta.

• Like 1