Sign in to follow this  
Deirdre

Deirdre's Photos

Yes, excellent. Not seen that around here. Is it Dalchalm?

:947629:

1 hour ago, Deirdre said:

FB_IMG_1583739553765.jpg

No over in Golspie across the road from old police stn looking out to sea... I noticed I chopped his toe off! Poor guy! 😯😊

• Like 1

Nice photo, and it looks fine to me regarding sharpness. We're still working on thirds this week, so here's another lesson on thirds for you. When looking through the view finder or on the rear screen, you have to imagine grid lines on the thirds, like this.

oilrigthirds.jpg.f8e6384972426bd4040c9bc15942f261.jpg

Horizons and subjects should, generally speaking, be on one of the thirds, or very close to them. I've cropped this one for you to show you how the image appears when you put the oil rig and the horizon on thirds. It's easy, all you have to do is move your camera a wee bit. I know, I know, the sky was amazing, but hey, it still looks amazing when the oil rig and horizon are on thirds.

oilrigcrop.jpg.edfc8c855027cae744573238caef1023.jpg

Yes looks good. I need to practice, practice, practice. I put grips on screen. But cant c them very clearly haha

You can edit your posts here there should be an edit button next to options at the bottom of each of your posts. Handy for fixing typos before anyone notices  :classic_laugh:

Oooo yay will do that. Just realised I had it at wrong setting as changed to take photo of family.

• Like 1

Animals are a little different. A picture paints a thousand words, so here's a photo of 2 fulmars I took today while walking back to Brora along the shore from Golspie. With animals, their eyes must absolutely be in focus. The first thing I check with birds and animals is if their eyes are in focus. If they're not, into the recycle bin they go immediately. As I shoot such big files (well over 6000 pixels wide) I get their eyes in focus by putting them in the middle of the photo. I could also use other methods, but this is the easiest for me. So, the centre fulmar has his eyes in focus, and as the second bird is the same distance away from the camera I knew its eyes would be in focus as well.

thirds01.jpg.e64d9987e925c13e3782b90cb6aa1199.jpg

However, this is a terribly composed photo, an awful image I couldn't possibly use, so I then crop for composition. It's important to get the thirds right. Here you can see the eyes of the middle bird are on the top third, while the eyes of the other bird are on the left third. This photo is still 3400 pixels wide, so more than big enough for professional use and printing.

thirds02.jpg.59526c58bf517b545551e48add9468be.jpg

And here is the finished photo after editing. I'm very happy with this one, but it's important to get the thirds right with eyes. You might notice I also photoshopped out the foreground blurry grassy bits which spoiled the image.

thirds03.jpg.06992da51b61ff0961233b04a2718abb.jpg

Ok eyes need to be sharp. Will practice... 😊

Here's another example of eyes, this time a cow at Strath Steven. Both eyes are in focus, and although the right eye isn't on the right third, it is on the top third, and although the left eye isn't on the top third, it is on the left third. Sometimes you have to balance them like this to make the image work. But yes, eyes really must be in focus.

thirds04.jpg.3022d9bfd3cc1cd7aaf6bf27600bf2a6.jpg

And here is the finished photo. I had a good day!

thirds05.jpg.a08ab8193cd0d20f7269d53aaefedf91.jpg

Here is a much easier one, a chaffinch in a tree on the banks of Golspie Burn. The spring colours in this image are amazing. In the first image you can see the crop. In the original photo the bird was bang in the centre of the image so I could make sure his eye was in focus. In the crop, the bird's eye is on the cross hairs of the top and left third. He is on the left third so he is looking into the image, not out of it.

thirds06.jpg.fd154e46bb9b711b238a57af62caafe6.jpg

And here is my finished version. I love this photo, one of my favourites from this year so far.

thirds07.jpg.911ca6cf94c33db6c53c3e82963568c0.jpg

• Like 1