Hi McRaider

One faint possibility is a French sloop, Le Prince Charles Stewart, an ex Royal Navy ship the Hazard which had been captured in Montrose and renamed. It was carrying gold for the Jacobites from France. It was intercepted by the Sheerness and chased into the Kyle of Tongue where it ran aground. The crew made a run for Inverness where Prince Charles was waiting. I believe a garrison of British troops engaged and killed them all in a skirmish on the shores of Loch Fleet about 6 miles south of here. They would have been fleeing along the coast where I found this nob.

• Like 1

George, do you recognize this area where it sank in 1745? And how far is it from Brora?

Spain contributed 400 thousand livres (or Louis d'Or)  per month plus the contribution of the church during the wars, it means that different ships made the deliveries of money for the cause .. and as usual to disorient, the ships arrived at different ports .. from there that some did not arrive or were intercepted and sunk ...

MapTongue.jpg.90f4746115a084043fa418488874b3d7.jpg

• Cool 1

Yeah, I know the area. Here's the Kyle of Tongue looking up the Kyle from the head of the loch.

kylr1.jpg.c1c8ead2e0cfa04b18b085e1d6b14523.jpg

This is Lochan Hakel. A gold coin was found in this loch and is currently in Dunrobin Museum. I know the legend of the Louis D'ors and the loch and I intend to go back for another look around the shores as I've a little more information and better equipment than the last time I was there.

kyle2.jpg.f1abf386c7f69f7ee0eac642ccc19cc1.jpg

Boats to this day often come in towards Brora for shelter when it's stormy, so I would guess French ships heading in this way to try to evade the Royal Navy or to shelter from storms is more probable than plausible.

kyle3.jpg.545ea0d8d6efffbfa808549f045916d5.jpg

• Like 1

Great idea if you can come back and remember to follow the direction of the water.

Also I contacted the National Museums Scotland,waiting for email.I did asked in my forum (Model ship world) and they think can be a button (some of them was huge).

I love this kind of stories and the best part for me is the research,let's see where is taking us...

• Cool 1

I've looked at quite a number of old cloak buttons, but I'm still leaning towards a cabinet nob, and the nautical design lends itself to an old boat, as does location of find. This is the kind of thing I see.

nob.jpg.b79558fbe82c90133d563db898702f7b.jpg

• Like 1

Here is why I can't go with cloak button. This is an antique Victorian cloak button. Note the elaborate design around the edges and the overall thickness of the metal. This is more like a brooch, an ornamental jewellery piece, and I suspect they were made more from semi precious/ precious metals and stones.

1856270494_cloakbutton.jpg.a7d18f0e310a379742d2588b32f91e54.jpg

There is absolutely nothing ornamental about this piece I've found. It is not a piece of jewellery.

nob4-D-A.jpg.9e521dc78212698dbdddd4f6d787c611.jpg

• Like 1

George,I am replaying Lake of Fire and I am in The Mutant level I took the silver key and went back to the room with fountain pool to find the exit door closed, I used the wall lever again but the door remains closed, (I can hear the sound of door opening ..) unless I forgot something?...

Walkthrough.. Climb the ladder, shoot the dog, and get the Silver Key from the pedestal. Go through the new passage that just opened in the wall and make your way back to the fountain pool.

Now take the other passage, taking care of the dog, find the jump switch, and head through the double doors. 

shot000.jpg

shot001.jpg

shot002.jpg

• Haha 1

Here is my walkie - did you find the jumpswitch? If you can't figure it out, I'll download the game and replay it :laugh:

Climb the ladder, shoot the dog, and get the Silver Key from the pedestal. Go through the new passage that just opened in the wall and make your way back to the fountain pool.

Now take the other passage, taking care of the dog, find the jump switch, and head through the double doors. Stand facing away from the slope. The idea is to jump back onto that trigger tile, then slide down the slope and at the last moment jump right or left to avoid the rolling ball crashing down on top of you. When you finally manage that, the gate in the passage nearby will open.