Birds

Photographed this bird down the beach yesterday and had no idea if it was a carrion crow or a hooded crow. Turns out they can cross breed and this is a hybrid. 10 years ago there were no hooded crows or carrion crows in Brora. About 3 or 4 years ago, a hooded crow and a carrion crow turned up around The Drive and were the best of pals, they were always together. I didn't know they could cross breed. Looks like there is a new breed of crow taking root around here. After talking to someone who knows about these birds, this is probably a back cross of a 1st generation hybrid with another carrion crow.

hoodycarrion.jpg.fa6ca836267ee8ce242d67a67c46a78d.jpg

• Like 1

Someone just gave me this info about hybrids.

They do cross, but the hybrids have reduced (not zero, just lower) fertility. So hybrid populations don't succeed well - you won't get your new breed of crow on Brora, they'll die out, or one of the two species will win out and completely replace the other in the long term

• Like 1

The Eider ducks are coming closer to shore as nest building time approaches. The males are the white ducks, the females the brown ones, and you can find them along Brora beach towards Kintradwell.

eiderducks-D-A.jpg.ebfd91dca5c8916f47026a485ee46b14.jpg

• Love 1

It isn't often that jackdaws will behave this naturally with you pointing a camera at them. Usually they are alert, staring right at you, ready to fly off as soon as you twitch a muscle. I guess the jackdaws around Brora are getting used to me and my camera. It's taken years, but now I'm being rewarded with some excellent photos.

jackdaw.jpg.14c4a2df2603a56b2c1bdd9299b6061f.jpg

I've waited years to get a decent photo of a heron in flight. This morning I finally got one. Not only that, but he had just taken off from a river and I caught the splashes in the water. Happy!

heron.jpg.3175f51430f59673015180e02023ccaa.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1