Brora Skoom '20

There is a dead basking shark along Brora beach, just past the first burn. This is one huge fish. No idea what happened to it, but its head looks like it has exploded. If you want to see it, you can park at the Golf Club car park and head along the shore from there to the first burn.

shark02.jpg.6dac10076295f9c6661d9d8954e28352.jpg

shark03.jpg.0b73484821164ca33d3b9ddc91146c58.jpg

shark04.jpg.a8e578e9bfffc6602ae8ee3012f32f7c.jpg

Something disturbing is surfacing here. Another basking shark washed up on the back shore a couple of years back. That one had its tail cleanly cut off (yes, I split my infinitives and couldn't care less). This one appears to be missing its tail and back fin as well. Looks like there could possibly be some shark killing going on in the North Sea for their fins for the Asian market. What a sad world we live in.

:cry:

• Cry 1

Watched a movie, looked out the window afterwards and spotted a big red light in the sky. Ran out with my camera and got a piccie. Checked online and it is the planet Mars. It's HUGE in the night sky right now, out over the North Sea from Brora. I've never seen Mars so bright.

mars-A.jpg.7a0a5632ff834f8eee7923984ea3ad71.jpg

• Like 1

More on these dead sharks. Basking shark fins are big bucks. Here's an excerpt from a report on the problem.

‘The demand for basking shark fins, which can fetch prices in excess of $50,000 (USD) for a single large
fin, is continuing to drive the exploitation, surreptitious and otherwise, of this highly threatened species,’
says Mahmood Shivji, Ph.D., director of the Guy Harvey Research Institute (GHRI), who led the research
group. ‘This finding, along with our recent research documenting extremely low genetic diversity in
basking sharks worldwide, raises urgent concerns about the longer-term health of this species.’

A bowl of shark fin soup can cost upwards of £100 per bowl. 10 basking sharks are probably worth around $1 million just for their fins. The key to solving this problem could be quite simple. Education. Apparently eating shark fin soup is unhealthy and even dangerous, because they contain BMAA. If people knew this, they wouldn't eat it. BMAA has been linked to neurogenerative diseases like Alzheimer's disease and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). Eating shark fins can increase human exposure to the toxin. So while shark fin soup may appear to be an extraordinary dish to indulge in on a special occasion, it is definitely dangerous. β-Methylamino-l-alanine, or BMAA, is a non-proteinogenic amino acid produced by cyanobacteria. BMAA is a neurotoxin and its potential role in various neurodegenerative disorders is the subject of scientific research. There may even be mercury and other poisons in the fins of sharks.

Education is the way forward here.

• Cry 1
On 10/8/2020 at 11:09 PM, George said:

Watched a movie, looked out the window afterwards and spotted a big red light in the sky. Ran out with my camera and got a piccie. Checked online and it is the planet Mars. It's HUGE in the night sky right now, out over the North Sea from Brora. I've never seen Mars so bright.

mars-A.jpg.7a0a5632ff834f8eee7923984ea3ad71.jpg

Our ancestors would have probably considered that a bad omen!

• Wow 1